Sunday, March 15, 2009

March 14, 2008

Our last full day in Guadalajara. We set this day aside to do some site seeing today. On the agenda was Tlaquepaque and the downtown area with the large Cathedral.
Tlaquepaque is a traditional market in Guadalajara where one can buy all sorts of traditional Mexican goods. I really did not find anything that caught the eye, mainly because most traditional Mexican goods are Tequila. It was really nice to people watch however. I sat on a park bench for about an hour watching little kids chase pigeons. I also discovered the little Mexican kids cry and whine too, that was relief to know that kids of all nationalities do that. (I am being sarcastic) For lunch we went to this really nice Hacienda and ate under some trees in a courtyard. Most of my group ordered this traditional Mexican drink that comes in a bowl with fruit in it, and you pour Tequila in it, it is called a Cassuela. It looked pretty amazing without the Tequila in it and I wanted to get the virgin style but I would have had to pay for the Tequila and that added about $50 MXN. Not worth it, so instead I just ate my Enchiladas de Pollo.
The downtown area and cathedral were spectacular. The main Cathedral is huge, and was built in the 1600’s, not long after the first settler arrived in Mexico. The cathedral was decorated with beautiful stained glass and gold trim. The inside was classical Gothic architecture. The outside was a mixture of a few styles however. I do love coming to large downtown areas just to see the amount of people that are there. It was just wall to wall people, and I was among the largest. Being large and white in a foreign cultures is always interesting. People are always staring at me, and whenever there is a street show I always seem to get pulled into the act however. This time it was mimes. It was cool though, we pretended to fight and the crowd laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment